I had intended to post sooner than this.  I have some new mohair, a gift, that is dying to be photographed and shared.  I have made progress on a lot of projects.  I’ve checked a lot of wonderful knitting theory books out of the library.  But life intervened, in the form of my little guy coming down with a severe illness.

On Sunday, he had a cough, of the sort that causes almost no worry at all, except that you think, “If this gets worse, he’ll be missing school tomorrow.”  Sunday night the cough turned into a wheezing, shivering, terrifying thing, so sudden and scary that I thought he was exaggerating or faking at first.  It took a long time for Liam to fall asleep, and when he did, instead of getting better, it was merely more obvious how bad off he was.  He was struggling to breathe.  Based on previous experience, I try not to go to the ER late at night, so my husband and I spent a long and scary night watching him in shifts.  In the morning he wasn’t much better at all, so we took him to the ER.  We probably should have taken him sooner, based on the way they rushed him in.  I’ve never been to the ER and seen anyone get admitted so fast.  The words “severe respitory distress” were spoken and then we were told that Liam was going to have to be transferred to another hospital where they had pediatric respitory specialists.

One ambulance ride later, he was at a second hospital.  He’d gotten a breathing treatment at the first hospital, and was already a lot better off than he was when we brought him in, but it was still scary.  Long, long, long day, which was spent at his bedside, and then my husband brought our other kids over, and I took them home, while my husband spent the night with Liam.

He’s home today.  This was up in the air for a while, but he ended up being allowed to come home, and he’s 110% better, with just a little gasping remaining.  What happened is still unclear.  It seems to have been an asthma attack, but he’s never been diagnosed with asthma.  It may have been caused by a virus.  It may have been caused by inhaling something, like popcorn.  It may have been caused by undiagnosed asthma.  Whatever it was, it was very scary, but he’s going to be all right.  And after all of that, I can’t help but be enormously grateful.

This is thoroughly frivolous, but it’s the only good thing that happened yesterday.  I apparently knit frantically when I’m anxious, so I made most of a sleeve for Maude Louise.  I’m very glad I brought some knitting to the hospital, actually, because it kept me sane, and it occupied my hands when I didn’t feel very sane at all.


3 Responses to “Scare”

  1. Sarah Says:

    Poor kiddo! What an ordeal – I’m so glad he’s okay. And I hope it was just a freak episode and that it never, ever happens again.

  2. Helen Says:

    Oh my goodness! I hope you never have to go through that ordeal again.

  3. Kristen Says:

    Thank you both so much. He’s actually almost back to normal today, so apparently, while terrifying, this was a short ordeal. I don’t think I’ll be sending him back to school this week, though! I want to keep him close to me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: