All those long months back, I had this idea for a sweater that I drew on paper and submitted to Knitscene. They didn’t want it, which I’m ultimately happy with, because I got to take my time and keep getting more and more fiddly until I had two versions of the sweater. Yesterday I finally finished the second version, and today I’m having that moment you get in any sort of creative endeavor where you look at something you’ve made and realize that the thing that once existed only in your own head is now a physical reality.
I got unsure about the lace panels as I was finishing them up, but now I’m so glad I went through with it! It feels finished now, and I think the lace does something really different and special to a simple tee shirt pattern. The buttons, Victorian glass numbers from Green Ray Productions, are the final touch to make this special. The body of the sweater is knit in Malabrigo Sock (under two skeins) and the lace is Misti Alpaca Lace. It is a ridiculously soft little number.
For comparison’s sake, here’s this photo paired with the original drawing. Admittedly, the angle of the photograph isn’t wholly conducive to comparison, but I think you can see how it turned out. I’ll probably take at least one photo with the silly ribbon belt I originally imagined!
So with this done, it should be less of the all Sunniva all the time situation that it’s been for months around here. I tell you, I’m very happy with how this turned out, but I will think twice before deciding to design a sweater in two versions and light fingering weight yarn any time soon!